View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Thanks for the responses. I had actually tried setting the margins, but it didn't have an effect for the regular epubs I tried, and it was sub-optimal for the Kobo epubs. After reading tshering's comment I realised I hadn't actually updated the firmware since just after I bought it, so the firmware update got it to recognise the margin settings for regular epubs, that is until I tried davidfor's suggestion which works great for Kobo epubs, but for my regular ones I've loaded it stayed on the previously set margin settings. After a little poking around and I discover a reference to margins in the .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite file, but editing the values in there, which is per book and for some reason only had three books listed in the "content_settings" section of the database, anyway after editing the margins for those books, it ignores them completely. My next step has been to delete that sqlite database in the hope it will generate a new one, it is currently "processing content" after a reboot, so I'll get to bed and have another look at it in the morning. Perhaps I'll be able to do something with the margin settings for my epubs in Calibre.
The problems you are seeing:

- In the past, the Kobo devices respect the style settings in the epubs. So, if the margins are set in the epub, the device won't over-ride them. This should have changed in FW2.3.1, but I don't know of that will have been rolled out to you yet. For earlier firmware, you need to remove the left and right margins from the styles in the epubs.

- When you change the settings for a book, they are stored in the content_settings table for the next time you open the book. The conf file also gets updated to these values.

- The settings in the conf file are for any book that has not had the settings changed and saved in the table.

For what you are doing, modifying the content_settings rows should be enough if the epubs don't have margins set inside them. Or removing the rows and relying on the conf file would work to. Deleting the database completely, is a very bad idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote