View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
For anybody following this thread, I started a new thread where you can see my progress with the things that interested me in the post above:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

Most importantly, I am providing tools to recover bricked kindles, which have been used successfully by mutliple kindle owners. I am also working on extensions to this for root access, jailbreak, and application installations. I plan to provide support for Kindle 3 and earlier as well.
And for people who have not (yet) bricked their kindle - the USB-serial mode should be available during "normal" operation also.

My reasoning on that:

Code:
root:k321# ls -l etc/udev/rules.d
total 15
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   32 May  6  2011 10-hw.rules -> /etc/udev/rules.d/XX-mario.rules
Which is a bit brain-dead, it causes XX-mario.rules to be loaded twice.
That should be /etc/udev/XX-mario.rules - but that is lab126's problem.

Code:
root:k321# less etc/udev/rules.d/XX-mario.rules
- - - big snip - - -
# USB notifications

KERNEL=="arc_udc",      RUN+="/lib/udev/bin/notifyusb"
KERNEL=="g_file_storage",       RUN+="/lib/udev/bin/notifyusb"
KERNEL=="g_ether",      RUN+="/lib/udev/bin/notifyusb"
KERNEL=="g_serial",     RUN+="/lib/udev/bin/notifyusb"
Not provided as part of any of the source code releases:
Code:
root:cat$ grep 'XX-mario.rules' Amazon_2012.02.18_sha1.cat
root:cat$
Developers get to examine the actual file system images to see if it is
include with a specific model/system-version.

Anyway -
What that says is the USB port is put into 'serial mode' on the loading
of the kernel's g_serial module.

Note:
The Kindle-3.2.1 system build does not include usb_modeswitch, might be a nice thing to add to the system images.

Last edited by knc1; 02-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote