View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Yes, mostly.... the size issue is pretty obviously a screw up.

And I don't mean to undercut your criticisms in general, either... Just that you may be expecting more than consumer reports is going to provide (or even care about.)

For instance ... Mac compatible. I had a Sony Reader with my mac and it sucked. Not only did I have to run their god-awful software (I believe it is somewhat better now, this was over a year ago) in virtualization but if I updated my firmware I'd brick it! So if you're not going to go into details about disk mode, etc... it's better to say it isn't Mac compatible because it isn't, not really. Someone who buys a Sony Reader and thinks they can just use that bookstore, update their hardware, etc... are in for some nasty surprises.
I'm just sayin', yes Kindle clearly wins for convenience of book-buying with whispernet. But to further downplay the Sony, calling it "not Mac compatible" is only piling on. The Sony is no more and no less Mac-compatible than the Kindle. The mechanism for adding and removing books from Mac to device is exactly the same. and they're tricking your Mom into thinking it won't work on a Mac.

(P.S. *My* Mom would want to know about library books.)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote