View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Documenting Calibre

I'm taking a technical writing course - for this course, we're developing tutorials. My group has chosen to develop a tutorial for using Calibre as a library management tool. Our target audience are people who are totally new to using Calibre, but I want to add some advanced (well, moderately advanced) procedures as well. I'm using a lot of the DearAuthor and Calibre Tips and Tricks information as my base.

My current off-the-cuff outline is as follows. I'd really like suggestions for anything else I can add. For example, what other custom columns are useful? Should I get into the news gathering stuff, or is developing recipes for that too advanced for a non-technical audience?

What other features of Calibre would be good to highlight?

Thanks!

Outline is:

Download and install Calibre
Running the Welcome Wizard
Setting up Calibre
About Calibre
Parts of the screen
Customizing the screen view
Customizing the Main interface
Selecting book details to display (columns)
Adding custom columns
Page count
Read/not read
Adding series information to your book titles
Adding plugins for metadata
Setting Column and row colors (?)
Adding books to the Calibre Library
Adding books
Using the Calibre Get Books feature
Adding and Editing Metadata
Configuring metadata
Getting Metadata from outside sources