View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I think there's plenty of scope for innovation.

The display contrast on current e-readers is not as good as ink on paper, so there's plenty of room for improvement.
Agreed, but from here down I'm not sure sure...

Quote:
The standard 6-inch screen size is smaller than a paperback book page and shows less text. Give us more screen and less wasted bezel!
The bezel is rather small on my Paperwhite. Much smaller and it'd be hard to hold. It's basically the margin of a paperback. The six inch screen is a great size IMO and most attempts at 5" and 7" haven't done so well, though admittedly they've not been the flagship device.

Quote:
The lack of color is disappointing for book covers and internal illustrations, and for comics. Color e-ink displays are in the pipeline, but not here yet.
For some, but I personally don't care in the least. I don't have any books that would benefit from color, and I suspect that many are in the same boat. If I need color, I just use my iPad.

Quote:
Sony and Kindle have audio, but they haven't made use of it for voice controls (like Apple's Siri or Google's voice search). They support text-to-speech, but it needs a lot of improvement.
Again... I'm reading... don't feel like I need this. Can't imagine how it'd improve the experience. Even the best TTS isn't as natural as an audiobook... Personally, I read when I can read, I listen to audiobooks when I'm driving, I don't even sync them with the new whispersync capabilities -- I just have two books in progress at a time. I suspect that this is also a very common circumstance.

Quote:
You can't zoom in book illustrations like maps and pan around currently.
Yeah, maybe... again, I just use my iPad for these. And they do have SOME zoom and pan, though it is admittedly minimal.

Quote:
Could you make a folding e-ink display so you could close it like a book?
So that you can read on both sides? I guess that has some value, but the screen change is so quick that I see little value in this as well. Flexible such that it's more robust, sure, but foldable? Maybe to make it more portable, smaller than the current 6" readers when folded, but anything foldable is most likely going to have a crease where it folded or an ugly joint where the sides abut.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote