View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #31
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Jave has been very insecure lately. Lots of updates, and lots of zero day exploits. Nothing in Windows will break if you uninstal it, but some web pages use it (and won't work without it). The good news is, if you discover you do need it, really need it, it's easy to reinstall, and generally, IIRC, you'll have a link for the web page you need it for.
There are also a few programs that use Java. The only one that I ever had was OpenOffice. When I stopped using that, I stopped using Java. Last that I saw LibreOffice was phasing out the use of Java and could mostly be run without it.

Just to add a thought about Linux, I've tried it on a couple of occasions and have always run into problems. Maybe my hardware doesn't like Linux. The last time I tried 64-bit Ubuntu. It looked great at first. Started stuttering and freezing. Ended up refusing to boot. I was running it from a USB stick.

I'm not computer illiterate but still found the installation procedure for Ubuntu to be annoying and overly difficult. The installation of Ubuntu gave me a number of options but never explained their significance.

"You didn't make a home partition. Would you like to continue without one?" It never said what a home partition was. I had to go back to the partition screen and create the partition myself.

I, unfortunately, have far too many physical problems to be heaping a bunch of digital problems on top of them. I've got an old laptop in storage somewhere. If I could find it, then I would try putting Linux onto that since I wouldn't care if it burned up (metaphorically speaking).
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote