View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
You don't have to click on a link to get a virus. Banner ads can install viruses and stuff without you actually doing anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Most of the drive-by are what's called "zero day exploits," which is to say, a brand new security hold that isn't in the AV definition files yet. You'll know if you get one, because stuff will be popping up on the screen, usually claiming to be anti-virus programs. A full scan probably won't detect it at that point. But an immediate system restore will usually get rid of it. Then do a full scan, and do another in a few days.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 should show you how to do a system restore. It can take while, but it's simple. Just be sure you pick a restore point earlier than the infection.
I got one of these just yesterday, just by going to a page from a Google link. The popup was from AVASoft Pro--extremely annoying, because it blocks any executable file. I hadn't clicked on the popup at all--I had tried to close the browser, though. I got rid of it by downloading Malwarebytes on another computer and running it on the infected computer from a flash drive.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote