View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
Hi guys,
New here - and happy to become part of this forum.
Welcome!

Quote:
I would like your guidance please - I have tried searching for this info, but cannot find anything regarding a suggested ebook length for a work of fiction.
About as long as a piece of rope.

Quote:
As we can't use page numbering, I need to know the average number of words that is today considered acceptable to the reader if the book is priced at say, $2.99
That's a bit pricey for an ebook, so I'd be expecting a lot of words for my money.

Quote:
The only info I found is to limit it to 50MB Not sure how many words hits a 50MB limit!
Just checked. A 140,000 word file in rtf format is about 2.5 MB. So your 50 MB limit would be 2,800,000 words. You'd get even more if you wrote it in odt format, probably less in Word format.

Seriously, if you check the guidelines from, say, Mills & Boone, they're looking at ca 50,000 words (if I remember correctly). My first book was 200,000, and about 1/3 too long (I'm working on it now). My second is about 140,000, and I think about right. That's about what I expect for a decent novel.

A novel nowadays usually has about 350-400 words per page, irrespective of whether it's a paperback or hardcover, at least here in Sweden, so multiply that by the number of pages in a good novel.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote