View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Update 1

Reading: Paging speed is really fantastic, even even with full page refresh every time. 602 you had to press the for about half a line before end side, now half a word is sufficient (as long as it' a short word)
The hotspots on the touch are more convenient and practical than I first thought, depending on whether you hold the device with the left or right hand.
The new Adobe Viewer is very good for my personal needs, I have to copy my favorite fonts, but then I think I'll stay with it for the time beeing.
What, despite the great tips with the key bindings for the dictionary on use of the same is still unsatisfactory, the hidden window is still hiding the text so that you'll always have to click a random word just above or below to move the window. Continuous reading with open dictionary as some users would like it is going to be at least cumbersome. Development work required.

FBReader is installed as well, but so far I have only tried it once very briefly, but all the books I have opened wouldn't allow to change the font and default is DejVu Sans

The Cool Reader works in the frame, as you know it from the Pro Series, scroll and menu entries works with touch, zoom and dictionary unfortunately not yet, so he is not an option for now.

I'm not going to try the fbreader180 because I do not like the format and wristshaking is obsolete with touchscreen

After I've worked briefly with the manual (PDF), I must say that the Touch is in that area really groundbreaking, the "panning" of zoomed pages works almost as good as a tablet, you can continuously pan over page boundaries, the zoom level will remainon paging, if you put the notes function on any button, then I think you may work really well, especially since notes will be zoomed to in PDFs from opposed to EPUBs. Paragraphs and line marking works in Adobe Viewer yet, the note I found yesterday was about PDF viewer.
I'm curious whether there will be a 922 in near future too

Videos will follow soon.

Display: This is a little darker display triggered a lively debate in our home yesterday, my wife (Sony PRS 350) found it terribly, but she blamed it on the white frame and black keys, but still had to admit the good contrast.
The evening reading session with a variety of bulbs showed a 7W bulb combined with a frosted glass lampshade is borderline too dark (but for the Sony as well) my 1W LED Clip Lamp is perfect and normals 25W light bulb is really bright enough.

WLAN: Unfortunately it still does not work because because our network ID contains an "&" character , and he complains about a special character. Just tried it in another network and it's ok here. Stupid bug, especially because the 602 had no problems at this point

Music and TTS: Since the Touch has no speaker there will probably be one or the other, who will complain about missing headphones.
I grabbed a couple of in-ear plugs for testing,result: LOUD at the quietest level I still thought my ears might fall off, maybe it's good for a major construction site but for domestic use is not so very useful.
PB may, indeed, aim at older reader/listeners here, which will not need hearing aid then (OK, not nice). Also, I constantly heard a high-frequency beep while the lady thought about the next sentence.
Otherwise, the quality of the TTS engine on the level of the previous models and very useful. There are women's voices in four pre-programmed languages, more is available from the Support for PB

Last edited by troll05; 03-28-2012 at 07:43 PM.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote