View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
resourceshelf
resourceshelf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What Libraries Offer

Greetings!

I am a librarian and also the editor of ResourceShelf.com and I think I can shed some light on what libraries offer at the present time.

There are two large providers (and several smaller ones) of eBooks to libraries in the U.S.

Each library, let's focus on public libraries, offers different titles. Also, eBooks and eAudiobooks are usually available online 24x7x365. All you need is a library card.

OverDrive
They work with over 9,000 libraries around the globe This page allows you to search then entire OverDrive database of titles and also see if your local library offers OverDrive content.

NetLibrary
They have over 200,000 titles in their collections and libraries "buy" these titles like they would purchase a physical book. Then, the user virtually checks-out the title for x amount of time.

Some libraries have one service but not the other. Some have both. It all depends but whatever the case, it's all free 24x7x365 from home, office, or from an Internet cafe on the other side of the world, with your local library's card.

But wait, there's more. Many libraries also offer article and newspaper databases with full text and full image content for free available from any computer at any time. There are many different providers of many different databases.

As an example, here's what the San Francisco Public Library offers with eBooks and more here.

As you'll some of these databases provide articles (full text and full image) from thousands of magazines and journals. One database SFPL contains over 3000 titles.

One of the "coolest" databases is PressDisplay. This dbase provides same day newspapers (full text, full image, just like if you took a color photocopy) from 650 newspapers from 76 countries in 38 languages.

To show what other libraries offer take a look at the Michigan Electronic Library (available to any Michigan citizen) and the Toronto Public Library (it's just not the U.S.)

and the

So, in conclusion visit your libraries web site, give them a call, or stop by and see what electronic resources (including eBooks and eAudiobooks and now dowloadable video).

An excellent place to find library home pages is Libdex.

One final note, in some states or regions it's possible to get library cards from various libraries. For example, I have cards from 5 different libraries in my region. Ask your librarian. If that's not possible, contact the library in the city/town where you work (if you live and work in two different areas) and see if you can also get a card from that library.

Happy Searching, Finding, Reading and Learning,
gary

Gary Price, MLIS
Editor, ResourceShelf.com
resourceshelf is offline   Reply With Quote