View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I find this a greate plugin as it allows me to queue books as I add them and decide they are of interest without having to wait until I connect a reader device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
IThat's a pretty painful limitation. However it might be the only "option" a user could have for a while until/unless Calibre is changed. If people think it is still worth the effort despite the serious limitation above I'll add it to the plugin.
Has the idea of having multiple sync lists progressed at all? I recently got a Sony PRS-950 to add to my iPad for reading and it would be nice to select which items went to which device in a relatively painless way.

I understand your isssue with which is the current list. However I had some thought on some possible ways forward - not sure if they are technically possible:
  • Always starting with NO active list. However, this would assume that the plugin could get in and de-activate any list that was active (if any) at the time that Calibre closed down before it automatically sent news.
  • When adding a new book, one could choose which list from those managed by the plugin. If necessary a pop-up could ask which list to use.
  • An option to promote a particular list to 'active' state so that Calibre will try and send it at the next sync. However I would have thought the normal use case would be that the user was interested in an immediate sync.
  • Ideally it would be nice to force Calibre to see if a device is connected so it can send news immediately. In effect a 'sync now' option for the current sync list. Can a plugin detect if a device is connected - if so it might be possible to make use of that in some way to indicate to the user what device would be synced?
Anyway, those are my (rather random) thoughts for now - do they make any sense, and do they have any chance of technically working.

It will be nice if/when Calibre eventually becomes device aware but these were some ideas on an interim possibility.