View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpy0118 View Post
Friquitote wants me to do homework like some recalcitrant schoolboy! I don't appreciate being patronised either, the programming done on Fortran was in the period 1967-70 at Imperial College, it wasn't a such beginners language back then. To quote from Wikip "It is one of the most popular languages in the area of high-performance computing and is the language used for programs that benchmark and rank the world's fastest supercomputers."
But as with all the threads in the Sony forum that had already discussed both the "chunking" issue and ems, you failed to get the point. We usually expect people to do a little looking around to see if their question has been asked and answered before ... your "homework." I'm sorry that you think it is too much for us to expect people to do a bit of research before asking a question for the thousandth time.

As for the FORTRAN language comment, you again missed my point. I was defending your apparent lack of knowledge about formatting by pointing out that your programming baseline, FORTRAN, was not (and still IS not) known for its complex formatting capabilities. Agreed that it is a good engineering and scientific language, but by 1973 it was being used to teach introductory programming at quite a number of colleges and universities here in the US because of the simplicity of its language and structure. It was my first programming language in 1973 and I used it until 2000 (the last ten of those years on IBM's Massively Parallel Processing systems).

In closing, according to John Backus, the father of FORTRAN, he "started work on a programming system (FORTRAN) to make it easier to write programs." BTW, that quote comes from the same Fortran article in Wikipedia that you quoted ... guess you should have read a bit further.

Last edited by frquixote; 08-06-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Quote attribution
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote