View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
I'm in two minds on that one. You're very probably right that *most* good programmers would make poor creative writers, but I'm not convinced that it's as cut and dried as you might think. Many of the best programmers I know write prose very elegantly (though of course many do not!) and the science fiction field in particular has many very successful authors with science/engineering/maths backgrounds.

/JB
I like to think I'm pretty good at both.

Also, there seems to a high correlation of coding skill and musical ability.

I see coding as just as much a creative, expressive endeavor as writing or playing music.

And on the original point (as gleaned from skimming the thread, not reading the linked article) I definitely think that skills involved in writing a clear thesis or organizing a plot have to overlap the skills in coding clear procedures and organizing control structures.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote