View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is a quick response:

Fonts - Jack's guide is the best that I have seen and the one that I follow which is to use the extra CSS in calibre and do a file conversion. The default short-template in Jack's guide works 90% of the time for me without having to explore the EPUB file in further detail. Many people use calibre to organize their library and transfer it. You can set-up the extra CSS in your default template settings so the conversion process is automatic. Thus, you don't have to type the code every time... This approach only works on non-DRM'ed books. You seem like a tech-savvy person who would probably enjoy the PRS+ firmware which has lots of extra features and will also apply fonts to DRM'ed books as I understand it. I don't have it so I can't elaborate too much other than lots of people speak positively of it.

Export notes / highlights can be done using the Sony software. It exports to an RTF file. Some important caveats. If you have DRM'ed books, highlights are limited to only 100 characters at a time. Meaning you have to highlight smaller chunks of text or type in the extra text in your text editor. Too limited in my opinion! If your books are not DRM'ed, then the limit is 2000 characters which can cover several paragraphs of text at a time. Kindle probably has the best export options.

When you double-tap and highlight a word/passage, it opens a pop-up box on the bottom of the screen. In that box are icons to open further menus. Such as an icon for the detailed dictionary page (an A symbol), an icon to open wikipedia (a globe with an A subscript), an icon with a highlighter to save your annotation and an icon with the universal search image to find that word elsewhere in the book.

It is easy to delete highlights or notes. You can do it within the book using an option menu. There is also a Notes application which groups all of your notes from all of your books which is another way to delete items. In summary there are myriad methods.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 06-04-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: fixed typo & one error
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote