View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
You're lazy? But if you're mostly going to read academic PDFs, neither the Sony Store nor the Amazon store will do you good. You'll be downloading journals from places like Jstor or whatnot.
I never said I'd mostly use it for Academic PDFs. It would just be a huge plus as it would save me printing so many out since I can't stand reading on a monitor/laptop. But it seems like no device does conversions well for academic PDFs since they're based on 8.5 x 11 pages with lots of tables and figures so it's moot for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
having said that, ceBit is coming up at the beginning of march, so you may want to wait a couple of weeks to see if there are any new devices that could fit your requirements. also, since budget is a concern, check our flea-market forum and ebay for used devices. you might be able to get a deal.
Definitely waiting as prices are too high and no devices are ideal--as is the norm with thinking of early adopting a technology.

For used it would have to be local so I could check out the unit first. I don't trust online purchases for used electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Back to the original question: If you can make use of Whispernet and are frequently purchasing commercial e-books, get the K2. It's so convenient to use, especially when you are traveling, that any other device pales in comparison.
That's what leans me in that direction since I live in a major city and mainly travel to major cities so I can definitely make good use of the Whispernet. That with the cheaper prices and better selection are huge pulls. But being $100+ more (technically $50 when talking MSRP, but the Sony is $269 or less pretty often including currently) is a kick in the pants.

At any rate, I'm leaning toward waiting until summer at the earliest unless I stumble across a great deal.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-27-2009 at 12:14 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote