View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassida View Post
Has anyone played with the Sony Reader....what is your opinion of it as an eBook reader? I'm a Mac user. Would the Connect software's lack of Mac compatibility be a major problem in using this device for me...!!?
I'm a Mac user with a PRS-500, and no problems. But there's one big caveat: Sony's ebook librarian doesn't run on the Mac. And the only way to purchase eBooks from Sony is to use their ebook library software.

The solution to this is... Don't use Sony's software, and don't buy books from Sony!

The free open source program Calibre is a better piece of librarian software than Sony's. And it runs on OS X, various linux OS's, and several flavors of Windows.

If you like Science Fiction and Fantasy, buy from Baen (at www.webscriptions.net for eBook sales). Or patronize Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, FeedBooks, etc. And don't forget the several thousand public domain books available here at MobileRead!

You'll also want to get familiar with the various programs that can help remove DRM from eBooks. That way you can purchase in a variety of formats, and convert the books to be useful with your Sony Reader.

Really, the only things you can't easily do as a Mac user (without Windows installed) are:
  1. Buy books from Sony.
  2. Update firmware on the reader.

Everything else is better when you ignore Sony's software.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote