Thread: sony battery
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
mlbspike
Enthusiast
mlbspike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, PRS505
Just sent my 500 in for servicing (again) because of the battery.
It drains, just sitting on the shelf, unused, in less that a week. It should last nearer 3 weeks. That comes to about 5% depletion, per day, with no page turns. Assuming (similar to ipod battery life) that the 7500 pages were established as a near theoretical max, by turning 7500 pages in a row, over perhaps a 4 or 5 hour period, so the 5% depletion per day doesn't factor in, then estimate 1% depletion per 75 pages. So, 2000 pages would account for near
27% of your battery life. The other 73% would take around 14
days (at the 5% depletion rate). So, If it took you near 2 weeks
to read the 2000 pages, then you'd be doing quite well. If it took
less than a week, then there may be a problem.
BTW, the first time I sent the unit in, when it came back, the battery life was actually worse. I called up the CSR, and he told me he had access to one of the engineers who helped develop the device, so ... after leaving me on hold for 20 minutes, he came back and said 6 days was within spec. I just lived with it until recently, when I picked up a 505. Thought I'd sell the 500 on ebay, or give it to my mother. Figured I needed to be certain about the battery, so, went back thru these forums and did some more reading. A lot more data had accumulated over the past year, and it seemed clear that the CSR was either mislead, or lied to me. I called sony up again, and this time was told that there was clearly something wrong, since I should get nearer 3 weeks.
They admitted that the CSR had been wrong, but they had no documentation of specifically what he had told me, so they would not repair the unit for free, since I had recently gone past the 1 year warranty. However, they did knock 50% off, so if this $50 gets the unit back up to original battery expectation, I'll be happy.
- Mike

Last edited by mlbspike; 12-23-2007 at 04:31 PM.
mlbspike is offline   Reply With Quote