View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinjb View Post
Thanks for the replies, I live in the UK, but would be interested in any sites you can recommend that you find good for books.
Besides google books you can use various other stores, like Foyle's, Waterstones, Sainsbury's, ebooks. Also directly from at least some publishers (I know e.g. of Penguin's)

Quote:
When buying from Other Stores do you have to use your computer and connect your Kobo to the computer to download the books to it or is it possible to email books (or send to device over Wifi in some way)
as far as I am aware no, you download your book on your laptop. If the book is DRM encumbered, you must have an Adobe account: when you buy a book you will get a link that will open in the Adobe programme, and download it on your computer, from which you can then transfer to your reader either by drag and drop or with Calibre (which is more convenient if you like to e.g. create shelves and organise your books). There is an excellent guide as a sticky post in this forum.
In addition, there is a driver for Calibre that allows you to send your epub books to the device in kepub.epub format: this means that the book will be read with a different "reader" on the device (there is one for epub and one for kepub, or "kobo epub" files, Kobo's proprietary format).
In the other directions, if you don't like the kobo reader app, you can download most kobo books as epub on your computer, instead of syncing, and transfer them as you would for a book bought elsewhere.
Quote:
and one final thing, what Metadata can you access from the Kobo Reader, e.g. if you have a book with the description of the book can you access this from the Kobo Reader?
I think you get whatever information came with the book - so for instance for some non Kobo books I have a synopsis, as well as cover, title, publisher and file type/size; for others I only have the cover and the file info. Books bought from Kobo also tell you other similar books (guess to sell you more :-) ).
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I live in the UK, but would be interested in any sites you can recommend that you find good for books.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote