Thread: Classic Nook Teardown
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Wait, so you slap him for generalizing and then you do it?

Many systems are running JAVA code now and running it well. As a JAVA programmer I can attest to this. Even the military is using it on... wait for it...

MISSION CRITICAL SYSTEMS! I won't even bring up all the sites that are running JSP or servlets to do their business.
Good one guys! I can see both points here. But, I'm afraid this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" arguments. I just have a problem with blanket generalisations and label sticking (aka "oh this is java, slap a "slow" sticker on it").

This argument has been around for donkey years. There is no substitute for good design and good software engineering.
You can cut your code in VI editor using nothing but 1's and 0's, and have it leak memory like a sieve and run like a three legged dog. At the same time I have Java apps running on my Nokia phone which are just fine.

To paraphrase the old NRA motto "Java doesn't make programs slow, programmers do"

Cheers!

PS: Ah, I did dig that "Mission Critical Systems" hole pretty deep didn't I . I think I'll need a ladder to climb out ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote