View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Hi Michael,

Given your diverse experience, what sort of advantages do you see for new authors in traditional publishing paths (small press or big-six) over self-publishing?

I ask this particularly from my own perspective (as a new author of a contemporary fantasy novel, first of a series) still undecided about how I want to publish it. From my participation here (and related reading), I think I have a reasonable feel for the ups and downs of self-publishing. What is much less clear to me is whether the perceived advantages of traditional publishing really exist.

For example: I know that I'm not good at marketing, my hope would be that a traditional publisher would help get me past that (I understand that they still expect some effort from the author). Also, there was a time when traditional publishers used to take an author under their wing, so to speak, and assist them with a lot of back of forth improving their work, but I get the impression this doesn't happen any more; that it is now up to the author to get it right for themselves.

Any thoughts you can share in this regard?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote