View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

We share a common point on the time line of our childhood education, if in a totally different country. My grades 1-8 education in history was very much from the view of and an endorsement of Americans of European descent in all matters. With many of those years spent in Texas there was also nostalgia for the Confederate States of America flavor to it. Thankfully what is presented to school children now has changed a lot, but unfortunately over the last decade or so the has been a major effort in some quarters to go backwards.
I think my military career ( I was a nurse in the British Army for 22 years) has influenced my opinions more than my childhood education. I can't remember much about the history I was taught during the 70s and early 80s. I do, however, remember almost all of the training I was given about equal opportunities, the Geneva Convention and bullying and harassment prevention whilst serving. Many 'character building' trips and team days out entailed visits to war museums and exhibitions of varying kinds. Many of them reduced me to tears and left me with a feeling of horror at what one person can do to another given the right (wrong?) conditions.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote