View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
I'm going to dissent on this, based on my own extensive experience using my non-PW Kindles for days-weeks at a time hundreds of miles from the nearest power outlet. Most of the time*, we campers take LED headlamps (with spare batteries) on such trips, and headlamps work great to illuminate eReaders, books, etc. In contrast, using a built-in light is going to drain the reader's battery faster and those batteries can't be replaced or recharged in the field. Unless, of course, you are car camping (which isn't really camping).

*Actually, during most of the camping season here we don't need artificial light because night is only a couple of hours long at worst, with twilight bright enough to read by outside the tent.
Those all seem like good points, however I guess it depends circumstances and on what factors are most important to you. Headlights might be more distracting to a tent mate if you like to read before falling asleep.
As for access to electricity, I'm surprised solar charging covers aren't getting more common for campers.

Last edited by ApK; 03-15-2013 at 02:54 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote