View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
The example I'm using is Home Power Magazine, issues distributed in PDF format on CDs. In this case, the PDFs are tagged... that is, it's not a page image like a traditional PDF, but ISO-compliant tagged text on the page (images don't move or change). Properly-tagged PDFs can reflow text, which is why PDFs can be read on different-sized devices like PDAs and smartphones (with actual Adobe Reader software). And the problems with them are problems I've seen many times over the years reading tagged PDFs, usually caused by font issues, low memory issues, or substandard non-Adobe PDF viewers.

Because of at least one of the limitations above, the text comes out garbled when the files are viewed on the iPad. Usually it takes the form of a line of text being broken into 2 or 3 sections, then "shuffled around" on the line so that letters and words from section 3, say, overlap those of section 1, section 1 may overlap part of section 2, etc, making the entire line unreadable.

It's a particularly frustrating garbling, because you can see the words are there, but completely jumbled and reshuffled so as to be unreadable.

On the NC, the same files displayed perfectly.

The watermarked files I referenced was the 40 Years of the X-Men DVD-ROM Set. Each page has a watermark over it that displays on the iPad and NC, but it does not display on a laptop running the latest Adobe reader SW.
Interesting.

I have never, ever, faced that problem before. Let me see if I can try to get a copy of that PDF and try.

By the way, which PDF app are you using on iPad? I do not use stock software but GoodReader. That's the best PDF reader for iPad, in my opinion. Similar to RepliGo on Android, but much powerful and faster.

But I maintain what I said. Most PDFs read perfect on Apple iPad an in general terms, any device. I believe your case is unique and not the rule for remaining users.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote