View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Scene breaks within a chapter. How do you guys format them?

I have a question about scene breaks. I'm not really certain if that's the right thing to call them but that's the best thing I can come up with to get my point across.

Often, when I'm reading a book, I'll come across a space, a wider section, where the scene or characters change within a chapter. Usually, these changes are marked by a wider space in the text. However, when the break happens to fall at the top or bottom of a page, these wider spaces would be hard to see, so they're usually marked with three or four centered asterisks or something similar. The only thing different about these breaks is where they happen to fall on the page.

Now however, in the age of ebooks and ereaders, the idea of a page gets sort of fuzzy. Increase or decrease the size of the text and you never know where a break may fall.

For those of you creating ebooks, what do you usually do for these breaks? Do you just leave space or do you mark the break with some characters? Or, if you're recreating a paper book, do you just do exactly what was done in the original?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote