Thread: MobileRead October 2012 Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #43
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think Dracula is a wonderful book. It's creates a creepy atmosphere that has rarely been equaled. Fast moving it isn't, and there are no explosions or car chases, but the mood it evokes is chilling and spine-tingling.
Somehow I had managed to never read Dracula, something I am correcting at the moment. I agree with what you say and actually like the way the dread is actually increasing among characters that initially have no inkling. I had of course seen many of the various films based [sometimes quite loosely] on the book. Only the 1922 silent film Nosferatu really sticks close to the book and creates it's atmosphere on film. For what it is worth I usually am not interested in most novels in the horror genre, mainly because I have difficulty being scared by things that I know can't happen or do not exist, the supernatural. But as I say I am enjoying Bram Stoker's book for how it creates the time it was set in.

This is off topic, but since Bram Stoker's Dracula came up . . . Interesting article in the latest issue of Smithsonian Magazine on the The Great New England Vampire Panic. Lest it be thought that this was a companion to the Salem Witch Trials, this vampire panic extended into the late 19th Century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Have you ever been impressed by anything written prior to the advent of color TV?

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.