View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Interesting! I have been setting my images as width="98%" so that
they will display more or less full screen in the Fire HD and
especially the 8.9 inch tablet. A traditional (American) photo is
scaled something like 8x10, while the Fire tablets (I'm not
certain about the iPads) are comparatively skinny, so that
calling for 95 percent of the height would be asking for the
image to be squeezed. What happens in such a case? Is it cropped
right and left, or is the picture elongated like an El Greco?
Why 98% 0r 95%? Why not 100%?

I guess the art of ebook cover design is to make something that scales to 800 x 600 (though don't Apple now require a minimum of 1000 pixels o the shorter side, to make their Retina screens look good?), which wouldn't suffer from a little cropping and which bleeds off into a plain colour, which can be matched by a background setting.

Then, whatever damage any particular device may decide to inflict, you've done as much as you CAN do to get a pleasant result.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote