View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
A hardcover book costs more to produce than a paperback, so I expect the hardcover to cost more.
Perhaps, but unless you've seen the publisher's financials, you're guessing, and I really can't see how their internal costs (in this sense anyway) effect you one whit anyway.
Are you buying a book to moderate the financials workings of the publisher, or are you buying a book because you want a book?

For myself, I'd pay more for a hardcover only if the better paper, better binding, better cover, etc, is worth it to me. I am not concerned at all by the publishers/authors/retailers/distributors margins unless they result in requiring me to pay too much for the value I'm getting. That a format exists elsewhere that costs less doesn't not effect my value at all if that format doesn't deliver what I want. If a cheaper paperback meets your needs, then buy the paperback. If you want the ebook for it's benefits over the paperback, what is the valid reason for not being willing to pay for that added value?

It reminds me of the old joke:
"How much is hamburger?"
"50 cents a pound."
"Lou's across the street sells it for 30 cents."
"So go buy it from Lou's."
"He doesn't have any."
"If I didn't have any, I'd sell it to you for 30 cents, too."

Last edited by ApK; 04-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote