View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Good to hear that you still have your DR.
The DR is OK and works fine with the latest "1.x" firmware. I like to read it it the garden.

Quote:
Indexing depends on the number of files on the SD card.
That's the whole problem. The point of having a reader for me is to carry all my library and reading stuff everywhere. It means over 150 000 files on a 32Gb card. That's why indexing takes forever.

The current solutions to make indexing less painful are either inadequate or make DR useless.
  • Uploading just 1-100 books at a time is stupid because the DR would cease to be an autonomous self-sufficient device. I do not want to have to carry another device for feeding it.
  • Disabling thumbnails does not change anything. Waiting 3 or 6 hours before being able to see a page is equally unacceptable.

Indexing serves no useful purpose either. All my files are arranged by titles, authors, languages and genres. The pdf's are usually scientific papers with tagged names like "submission234" or "MTT10-3454" The descriptive names are in the filenames. The fiction books are usually in the zipped FB2 format which the firmware does not understand and cannot index anyway. There are many DJVu files which cannot be indexed too.

Quote:
If thumbnailing is disabled no complicated actions are performed. Since you say that indexing takes such a long time each time that you start the DR, it could be that the global.db file is corrupt. You could try to remove/rename it and see if that helps
Tried it several times with no effect. The file is OK. Its the process of making it that makes the 2.0 firmware and everything around it unusable.
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote