View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've only used KG on maybe a dozen or so ePub's. Some were commercial ones I bought, some were created from HTML witch was obtained from PDF's and put together with Sigil (and sometimes run through Calibre). I don't recall problems with any of them. I wasn't however running them through DTP.
Well, right this second, it isn't yet DTP; it's that the TOC doesn't show up in the KindleGen output. Even Amazon isn't quite sure what's going on, despite what their techs say.

Quote:
I just quick ran a book that I needed to convert for my Mom and it worked great. Would sending you the toc.ncx from that file so you could compare it to what you've got possibly help?
With a TOC? Which you created how? Sure, sending me the toc.ncx couldn't hurt. PM me.

Quote:
I know you're using Sigil to create the epub, but what's the initial source? Is it Word saved as HTML? saved as HTML filtered? Do you run the HTML through any tidying software? Just wondering if the problem is Sigil, Calibre or possibly the initial source.
Scanned physical book to Word; word in BD to strip the formatting (and preserve the italics and any bold, although the latter is rare); saved as .doc; re-opened in Word (to get out of BD and its horrible CSS) and set base font; saved as filtered html-->Sigil-->epub-->Calibre-->mobi. Long ass way to go to get to Amazon and suddenly have my files stop working, allegedly it being my problem.

Quote:
What about unzipping the epub and merging that HTML which you can then manipulate? I really don't know, just throwing thoughts out and hoping something will work. You probably know more about the topic than I do overall.
Not dramatically faster than just copying the xhtml files into NoteTab and stripping out the xhmtl tags there. <shrug>. Still means I end up running two processes in parallel; make one book (epub) in Sigil; take the codeview text, COPY it for crap's sake, PASTE it into a text editor, save as html, then into KindleGen or Mobipocket. Not to mention, I lose all the nice css formatting I use in the epubs which I currently sneak into the Kindle versions (and, yes, for the most part, it works. The dropcaps leave a lot to be desired, but you still get a text effect--not quite a dropcap, but an enlarged font).

Quote:
Have you gone to the DTP forums and seen if anyone there has any thoughts?
Oh, yeah, that's been swell. One guy there wants to convert me (pun intended) to his method of making mobis from Word; the other wants to help me because "[he] uses a program called Calibre." Nobody reads anymore, ironically enough. Of course, none of them use epubs, so they could not care less about the fact that I need to make an epub, AND the fact that epubs from Sigil give me options that I cannot get via html-->Mobipocket (like using the title attribute for a heading tag to create a TOC item).

Quote:
I don't know if more folks here would see this if it was in the Mobi format forum or not.
Some folks are readers, some are publishers, some are both. I'm both. I came to this forum because the step from html is from sigil to epub to mobi, so I thought that Kovid might have some ideas, but, here we are.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote