View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
@Anemic Oak: how did you create the TOC's for your books in epub? Did you create it in Sigil, or create via Calibre, or...? It mostly works, but I can't send out a book w/o a TOC, particularly for the authors who have "about the author" and "other books by this author" sections, their heads would explode. Maybe if I edit the doodah manually...????
I've only used KG on maybe a dozen or so ePub's. Some were commercial ones I bought, some were created from HTML witch was obtained from PDF's and put together with Sigil (and sometimes run through Calibre). I don't recall problems with any of them. I wasn't however running them through DTP.

I just quick ran a book that I needed to convert for my Mom and it worked great. Would sending you the toc.ncx from that file so you could compare it to what you've got possibly help?

I know you're using Sigil to create the epub, but what's the initial source? Is it Word saved as HTML? saved as HTML filtered? Do you run the HTML through any tidying software? Just wondering if the problem is Sigil, Calibre or possibly the initial source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Further to this topic, as an experiment, I tried to convert an epub to rtf via Calibre and then open it with Word, to save as html...well, you guys get the drift. The rtf wouldn't open in Word, I got a message that the file was corrupted. {shrug}. So my options right now appear to be to literally cut-and-paste out of sigil into an html editor, strip anything sigil-related (oh, joy), then save as html and drop it onto Kindlegen, with which I hope I'll get a TOC and a file that can be read on Kindle for PC, as Calibre seems to not work for that application with their DRM.
What about unzipping the epub and merging that HTML which you can then manipulate? I really don't know, just throwing thoughts out and hoping something will work. You probably know more about the topic than I do overall.

Have you gone to the DTP forums and seen if anyone there has any thoughts?

I don't know if more folks here would see this if it was in the Mobi format forum or not.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-13-2010 at 11:06 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote