View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Question HELP! Mobi conv. prob. in Kindle for PC--big issue

Hi, Gang:

I'm having a moderately serious problem which I believe is actually being caused by Amazon's additional layer of DRM for books being sent to the Kindle for PC (KFPC), but is screwing me up nonetheless, because my clients are unhappy, not without reason.

The files that I've made--using Sigil to generate an epub, then using Calibre to convert to mobi--are not working on the Kindle for PC after they've passed through Amazon's DTP. Some Amazon Kindle "tech" told my client that it's my fault, that "They say the problem with [bookname] is that it wasn't created using their (Amazon's) creation and coding tools and that it's protected by DRM-1, which Kindle for PC and most new Kindles won't recognize, as opposed to DRM-2."

I naturally had a fit when I read this, as obviously, I don't add DRM. But nonetheless, it appears that files made with mobipocket aren't having this problem. Or freaking files made with Smashwords, god help me. I do not understand enough, I admit it, about the conversion via Calibre to grasp what the hell might be going wrong.

@Kovid--can you please help?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote