View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #63
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Now Bob, we all know in Victorian England times, people merely took a sponge bath at best. Baths and personal hygiene were simply *not* discussed so it's with the times to not mention them in literature. PLUS showers didn't exist and baths weren't as high fashion as they are today...

I happened to find it strange near the beginning of the book that he went through all these sweaty things and wasn't anxious to get in a shower. Plot hole? No, just something I noticed.

Now as for why the book as a whole didn't capture me as much as some other series, I really think that boils down to characterization. Reacher is a tough guy...but the book has this "love'm and "leave'm" kind of thing going on. The woman in question was good at her job, *relatively* strong...but not worth hanging around for apparently. Reacher's just this super-cool dude who has his fling and moves on. There's nothing wrong with that from a story perspective, but just like real tough guys can wear pink, real tough guys have real relationships (not all successful, but yanno.) I felt like the author sort of "threw" the relationship away for convenience sake there at the end.

And I have not read any of the later ones. Maybe he develops some great relationships. I'm only referring to the way this book struck me. Kind of a "The Hulk" theme of constantly moving on in search of...something.

That's not a plot hole either, it's a perfectly reasonable and realistic character trait.

Last edited by BearMountainBooks; 10-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote