View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #70
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Different people have different interests. Many of my friends spend all their free time watching TV. Am I to be "pitied" because I prefer to read instead? It's simply a different interest. I think there's a little "intellectual snobbery" in the view that reading is somehow a "superior" hobby to other forms of entertainment. If you enjoy doing something, that's what matters.
I look upon reading as exercise for the imagination (in the sense the imagination and other aspects of the mind must work actively to create scenes and spatial coherence instead of having it done by visual media).

And with that in, uh, mound, I try to talk to disinclined friends about reading as I might mention my interest in exercise to a sedentary person -- diplomatically, with the aim to avoid proselytizing, condescension or any other mode that could discourage someone or make them defensive. If they already have obstacles to overcome, why add to that?

Sometimes a girlfriend will seem oblivious to my suggestions while we're dating, only to pick them up later when we're not together any more. Presumably, she needed the space to consider or accept what I'd recommended, which is understandable.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-07-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote