View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
sarah11918
Edge User

I also find the edge very easy to support itself when I'm in a variety of positions. If I'm just using the LCD tablet, I often tent the machine on my stomach so the LCD is facing me. I have no problems using this thing in all kinds of loungy conditions, whereas I'd need to hold the iPad (or get a case that allows it to be in multiple positions).

Hubby has an iPad and I've actually never felt compelled to use it. Sitting waiting at a gate at the airport, the edge is very easy to cradle in one arm and use, and sometimes I'll rest the bottom edge or corner on my lap while doing so. Hubby has to hold the iPad. We did just pick up a multi-position case for him, and that's allowed him to have it rest tilted on a desk or on his lap allowing him to touch type. (One thing in the iPad's favour, many can use the virtual keyboard well enough to touch type. I don't find the edge's to be quite up to that quality yet.) So, basic form alone makes me prefer the edge because even the weight of an iPad will become annoying to hold.

Hubby is quite happy with email and twitter apps, but he primarily bought it for the drawing apps so he could make animated slide shows for his conference presentations. With a stylus, you can write on it and the emphasis on being sleek and cool means there are apps that allow him to draw flow charts and diagrams, then integrate nicely with Mac video editing software to play back his creation at the desired speed. So, he's actually using it for content creation, but more graphical stuff. That's the only reason he bought it. But he does find it small enough to pull it out to check email instead of the laptop, and it does do those functions well.

But as someone who doesn't need any specialized apps like that, I really have no use for an iPad. I'd much rather have a Journal program, clamshell form and 2 separate screens. I have a lot more use for a virtual notebook that's separate from my other screen than an app that would allow me to do handwriting.