View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #62
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It's a 10-yr old Gateway PC running Windows 2000, and I've already maxxed out the hardware as far as I can without outright replacement of the box (which, at this point, is pretty imminent...)
OK. Win2K does have long boot sequences. No surprise that faster booting was a design goal for XP.

If you upgrade to an XP machine, I recommend a handy freeware utility called TuneXP. It's a "run once" program that lets you tweak an assortment of settings. The big win is an option to reorder the boot drive to place drivers at the beginning for fastest access and boot up. Works a treat.

Your options are more limited in 2K, and beyond defragging and trying to keep the number of things loaded on bootup to a minimum, you can't do a lot to tweak it.

Quote:
And very beyond my non-IT experience. I'd never seen it used before I started this job, and everyone else in the office thinks it's pretty cool (or spooky, depending on who you talk to). But mostly they just like the idea of being lazy and not having to worry about it.
It's really useful in the data center, where "lights out" operation is the goal, and there may not be anyone to turn a machine on if it isn't when remote access is required.

I've also seen "Wake on modem" options, though those are rather less used.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote