View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #32
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
Good post and good analogy. But title of the book can tell what is inside the package, especially in nonfiction books.

I pickup the book by reading the title and sometimes pay no attention what else is on the cover. I don't know if it applies now, but another thing I look is at publisher who was attracted to publish that book. Good publishers have good editorial staff and normally publish what they think is good.
Well. The package that looks like laundry detergent could say "Delicious Orange Juice" upon closer investigation, but I might have left before I could read further because I thought I was in the wrong aisle.

Regarding the second point, looking at the publisher doesn't help much with indie and small press titles. Small presses could be credible in a certain niche, but a good chunk of the audience that the book may reach wouldn't know the history nor would do the research, hence the publisher info is uninformative to the audience. Best to make the cover as informative and attractive as possible.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote