View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #30
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
I'm pretty sure you purchase licenses...especially to eBooks. Even real books...just ask the library. That's part of why it's illegal to resell a book with the cover ripped off.
It's the same for your iPod, and even all the DVDs you rent or buy. You think you own stuff...but you have purchased the license to a copy of something.
If you violate the terms of the license, the copyright holder could technically withdraw your right to use the item in question.
It's what DRM is all about...it's pre-emptive copyright enforcement.
If you strip an eBook of it's DRM, that I can only imagine that you are violating the license you purchased. That is, essentially, the first step in 'pirating' something.
The good news is that, as I said, the makers or Calibre are a much better target than you are.
To my knowledge it is not illegal to sell a book without a cover (could be somewhere). I believe it is fraud for a book store to claim books are destroyed to claim a credit instead of returning the physical book. It may be fraud and you may have purchased stolen property but it may not be.

Yes, you are correct about the licensing on most music, eBooks, etc. I don't agree with the way most companies treat all their customers as thieves but thats how it is...

Stripping DRM may or may violate the license ( if the license is even enforceable) but may violate the law in your area.

Stripping DRM is definitely not the first step to piracy. For many it is simply necessary to ensure that they are still able to read a book they paid for the right to do so in years to come. I never loan books and I seldom give them away or sell them because if I enjoyed the book there is a good chance that I will read it again. I may be the exception but if I did loan books I am not sure that I would loan eBooks. With a physical book there is only one copy but can I trust the people I loan an ebook to not to copy it or make it available for download?

As for the developers of calibre they have nothing to fear. They are providing a tool. To my knowledge it does nothing illegal. Suing Calibre developers is as silly as suing microsoft because some one used Word to write a bank hold up note.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote