View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #88
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
A big chunk of it are the little things (semi-intangibles as I put it before). The edges of the T1 cover are left rough and sharp (at least mine was), which made it feel cheap. Without the need for magnets, they didn't have any sewing into the cover itself, which is a small but nice touch. The back of the cover has a nice grip, but the shape tends to remind you that you are using a device. The lip of the clasp presents another edge when reading one-handed that bugged me. The front actually had something to stay put on the 650, and the T1 has nothing so the cover tends to flop a bit.

I know the things that bug me are subjective, but I can't just ignore them. I only ever used the Nook STR without a cover (even though I tried) because of these harder to quantify issues with the covers.
I just got my Standard Sony T1 case, & I love it. It's perfect for my needs. It's like a nicely sized paperback, on the order of a Penguin Maigret novel.

Your observations about the edge of the front flap and the lip of the clasp are correct, but my subjective reactions are different than yours. The edge doesn't bother me at all. The lip seems to give me a more secure grasp on the device - although on the whole I do tend to agree with you about it.

I'm a big fan of the Tuff-Luv cases, particularly the ones that allow me to prop the EBR up on the table. But they are thicker than this Standard cover is. The thinness of the cover is a big attraction for me.

The Standard cover plastic holder strikes me as more secure than the previous clasp arrangement Sony used, and I find the four corner strap-in approach to an EBR cover to be distracting.

I can imagine someone might tweak the Standard cover by upgrading the materials. I can also imagine that the sides of the plastic holder might be adjusted with cutouts like the one at the bottom for the buttons & plugs, so that there is no ridge at all where the customer is likely to be placing his thumb.

But overall, I'm pleased as punch with both my T1, which has rapidly become my favorite EBR, and the Standard cover.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote