View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I know it is not in the Kernel. I just mentioned what I would like to do when I get to do some programming for the Kindle and I went off topic.

How hard do you think it would be to modify or create a PDF viewer that works on the Kindle?

Going back to Kernel, do you know if the hardware supports WiFi?
I decompiled the Java sources for the kindle. In theory, it's possible to replace the PDF viewer. However, it'll be REALLY hard. Amazon obfuscated all the sources (because they know java is easily decompilable), so there's no class names, no function names, and no variable names (all a, b, c, etc). So it'll be hard to reverse engineer and find what to replace.

WiFi: Again, in THEORY, it should work. What you need is either 1) Mini PCI-e wifi adapter and replace the 3G card with it and add the drivers into the kernel, or 2) Find a way to get USB access (Kindle supports USB, but the only port I can find is the one on the bottom which needs some port converting).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote