View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #35
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I live in Australia and couldn't care less what's in the Sony Store - I can't buy from it. I find I get anything I want to read for it anyway straight from booksellers and publishers. It's quite a pleasure to not have to go through Amazon in particular.
My house has some Sony stuff but none of it was bought new. I even bought my Sony Reader PRS-500 second hand - and Sony exchanged it for a PRS-600 for me after I sent it for firmware upgrade for the second time. They've given me support one could never dream of getting from the likes of Amazon.
The only feature I would like is extended battery life - and it might be as easy as upgrading the battery myself, assuming lithium ion batteries are improving all the time!
I've not had remarkable service from Amazon, but a good number of Kindle owners have raved about its service, including Amazon offering free replacement Kindles even when customers broke theirs in falls and such. That's without them having extended warranties.

I've owned a good number of Sony products, some of which quickly failed. I find its products to be hit and miss, much declined from the brand's glory days of quality. I also found Sony's e-book experience to be a PIA, and returned one of its readers. With Kindle, I didn't have to contact Amazon; it works painlessly. Ditto for the Kindle app on PC and iDevices. The Amazon user experience is built for the user's convenience, unlike Sony's, it seems to me.

I'm not loyal to companies. Whichever serves me best gets my money, and if another comes along and does it better, I'll switch. For now, Amazon is earning my money far better than Sony.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote