View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Unhappy Calibre still slow on brand new computers

I know this is a topic that frequently comes up but I'm really frustrated. I have two computers that I use, one at home and one at work, for accessing my Calibre libraries on a regular basis. Both computers we're built within the last 3 months. The work one I didn't have a say in what specs were used, but I built the one for home myself. I based my decisions of what components to pick largely on things I'd gleaned from here on the forums in the expectation that Calibre would perform well. That's not the case for the larger of my two libraries.

These are the specs for the computers:
Home
Win 7 Pro 64-bit
AMD Trinity Quad-Core 3.6GHz 100W Desktop APU (CPU+GPU)
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM
Motherboard with SATA 6Gb/s ports
1TB WD Green HDD, 3Gb/s - I admit this is an older drive that I had on hand.

Work
Win 7 Pro 64-bit
Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 2.4GHz
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM
Motherboard with SATA 3.0GB/s ports
1TB Seagate Barracude HDD, 6.0Gb/s

*Calibre 1.36 Win 64-bit
*Library folders are in Dropbox - synching is paused when I'm doing any metadata editing.
*Main Library has roughly 4.3k books - this works relatively fast
*Import Library has roughly 9.3k books - this one just scrolling up/down or right/left is a lesson in patience. Trying to process single or bulk metadata gives me plenty of time to play a game of Solitaire, sometimes two. Oddly, importing through FFDL doesn't take noticeably longer than usual. I think. I've been importing anywhere from 400-600 files at a time so I usually just let it run while I go off and do other things.
*I don't remember exactly which Plugins I have installed beyond FFDL, Count Pages, and EPUBMerge. I might have Quality Check, Find Duplicates, and maybe Reading List installed. I try to keep it the same across all installations.

Before anyone jumps on Dropbox being the issue I have tried moving the library into My Documents itself with no connection to Dropbox and there was no noticeable increase in speed. I have the library folders listed as exceptions in my virus software so it shouldn't be scanning them, but I have also tried running Calibre with the virus scanner disabled and, again, no noticeable increase in speed.

The Import Library isn't bloated with image files. In fact, because I was curious, the Import Library only takes up 438 MB of space while the Main Library is taking up 1.56 GB of space.

The one thing I am wondering about, is I noticed that the Home computer has 6.0GB/s SATA ports but the HDD is only 3GB/s, and the Work computer is the opposite - 3GB/s SATA ports with a 6.0GB/s HDD. Could that be an issue?

Any help would be appreciated because I know compared to the libraries of others on here my libraries are pretty small. so to find Calibre so bogged down is just incredibly frustrating. If you need any other information let me know. I wasn't sure what would be useful beyond the computer hardware and basic Calibre specs.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote