Thread: PRS-650 Questions to Prs+ users
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
1. Is it safe? By that, I mean can it brick the reader? I see that prs+ now has it's own installer, so I need not install a separate flasher.
It is save. It was done hundred-, if not thousandfold. Only chance to brick the reader is to power it down while flashing.

Quote:
2. Is it simple to uninstall prs+ and get back to vanilla Sony firmware? I read somewhere that not having upgraded to the latest Sony firmware I can simply install the latest vanilla firmware to remove prs+. Indeed, I believe prs+ doesn't work with the latest firmware.
It works perfectly with the latest firmware, but can't be installed with setup*.exe.
PRS+ needs some slightly modified startup-scripts, which are obviousely not in the latest vanilla firmware.
Workaround: russify and use *.zip installer, starter-files
And yes, putting on the Sony-firmware removes PRS+

Quote:
2. Does it improve font functionality? I use custom fonts by adding them to the reader and incl. css code via Calibre. Will prs+ make this easier and / or add functionality?
No need to embeed the CSS with calibre, you can have a set of CSS-files on your reader and switch between them via PRS+UI.
One thing to notice: New CSS is only applied during opening of a book. So you have to choose another epub and change back to the first one to see the changes.

Quote:
3. Key shortcuts. Navigating the Sony interface is sometimes rather long. At times I want a back button. Does prs+ do this? Does it work well?
A advanced keybindings system is included. Allowing to bind (nearly any) action to a key, holding-a-key).
Previous and Next are not supported at this time.

Quote:
4. Book history. Does it show a list of recently read books? I guess so.
Yep

Quote:
I'd also be interested to hear about your general experiences with prs+ and if you think it was worth installing. I know it's still an alpha so it might be best to wait for the beta, though it sounds pretty simple and safe already, hence the temptation to install...
Thanks!
Main functionality is the browse-folder addon, and I'm using it since Version 1.x. Beside this you get the CSS-hack, advanced keybindings and, if you want them or not, some games and a calculator.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote