View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #92
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
My parents were (and are) voracious readers, so as a child I was always exposed to their love of reading and viewed it as something you always do when you don't have to do anything else. My dad was also a fantastic storyteller, and would regale us with bathtime stories that included your basic fairy tales but also a slew of Bre'r Rabbit stories, which we couldn't get enough of.

When I was three, my favorite book was "Bears in the Night." I had my parents read it to me so often that I was able to match the words to the story, and then I recognized those words in other stories. (I can still recite it nearly verbatim!) My parents would also help me sound out unfamiliar words, and I'm sure their professional backgrounds (writing instructor and elementary school principal) gave me a big advantage. I started kindergarten when I was four (late birthday) and spent as much time as possible in the "reading center." My dad was the principal of the school (it was before kindergarten was mandatory and my school didn't have one) and he checked so many books out for me that the school librarian admonished him for "pushing me" too hard. But they never, ever pushed.

I still have vivid memories of scouring the library shelves in elementary school, looking for anything interesting that I hadn't already read. What I wouldn't give to have that much time to read today!
You have got that right.. I search for time to read.. Semi Retired here and still can't find enough time to read.. I have my Kindle, Nook etc in my briefcase 24-7... sheesh..
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote