View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo Review - from an eReader Newb

***17-DEC-12: PLEASE READ BELOW FOR AN EXPLANATION OF DELAYS***

I feel quite bad about not being more active on this forum and for finishing this review, but there's a reason...

I started a C Programming evening course at a local college in September and my final assignment is due tomorrow night! It started off slowly enough, but soon ramped up into overdrive, eating majorly into my free time. On top of that, I have other things that eat into my time in the evenings and weekends, so the time required to finish my in-depth review has had to be delayed.

I apologise to those who were hoping this review would provide some perspective on the Glo in the run-up to Christmas. Unfortunately, I will be travelling to rural Germany on Friday for the holidays, and so this review will have to wait until the new year to get picked up again. I will take my Glo and my list of topics with me, so that I can try to get some research in during the quiet moments.

Cheers,
Matt (9littlebees)

INTRODUCTION
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to this forum, due to the fact that I have only just received my first ever eReader, the Kobo Glo. Being a bit of a tech-head and review junkie, I've decided to post a review of the Glo, based on my own fresh-to-eBook views and in response to many questions asked by the community on a previous thread (you can find the thread here).

As such, the things I will be looking at are things that you wouldn't necessarily get from your standard review sites, though I won't be doing anything that will void the warranty.

REVIEW TOPICS (each on a seperate post):
  • Introduction (this post!)
  • Unboxing & First Impressions
  • First Steps & Loading Content
  • User Interface & Readability
  • Functionality
  • Kobo Customer Service
  • Bug List, Conclusion & Rating

ABOUT ME
I work as a Project Planner for a large Engineering company and hold a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, which I suppose makes me a bit of a geek.

In terms of books, I read voraciously growing up and one of my first real jobs at the age of 21 was the branch manager of a bargain bookshop here in the UK, where I stayed for 3 years. Because of this job, I have a love for books as physical objects, and love reading a good paperback. This is one of the reasons I've held off getting an eReader for so long.

In terms of reading electronically, I have an Android smartphone and a Win7/Linux PC. I will sometimes read PDF's on my desktop at fairly large size, but my attempts at reading eBooks (MOBI & EPUBS) on my devices have never lasted more than a few minutes, as I hate reading off LCD screens!

Finally, I'm a big fan of open-source, which is the main reason I have not bought a Kindle. Pair that with the fact that you can side-load Kindle books with very little effort onto a Kobo device, and you're left with quite a great, open-source platform. On paper, at least.

So let's get on with the review!

Last edited by 9littlebees; 12-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote