View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Thanks a lot both of you!
MGMueller's post made me reconsider the Kindle.
Well that's one model off my list, I'll follow up on the other ones.

Some more questions if that's ok!

1) I thought the iRex Iliad was getting a bit dated and I didn't want to buy something that was near end-of-life. Do you know anything about how much life is left in the Iliad?

2) The other thing I should mention is that I definitely don't plan to spend too much on actually BUYING any books. I'd only buy (and share) books that I couldn't get hold of using, erm, other methods. So I want a reader that has as little DRM and weird formatting as possible. With this in mind, is the iLiad or the or Sony psl 600 the best choice?

3) The Iliad has a larger screen than the Sony psl 600, right? Does the user notice a lot of difference? (I plan to read a lot of technical material...)

4) Which one is better for annotation (making notes on the pages?)
iRex iLiad already doesn't receive any firmware updates anymore.
IMHO not too problematic, already very advanced OS.
I'm not too concerned about spare parts either. Realistically, I'll have my unit another 2 to 3 years and support should be given for that period of time.

DRM is in the books, not in the readers. Meaning: Readers can handle some DRMed formats, but they don't "mess anything" up. Whether iRex iLiad for example handles DRMed Mobipocket or only DRM-free Mobipocket won't make any difference in quality or layout, the reading engine will be the same.
I'd suggest always using a format, your respective reader is able to handle natively. Stripping from DRM and/or converting can be extremely time-consuming and boring.
So, one criteria for choosing your reader should be the file format(s) you most likely will use the most.
Many users in this forum prefer ePUB (ADOBE) which already is kind of a quasi-standard. iRex iLiad for example can't handle it natively.

Screen size in my opinion DOES make a difference. For example, I'm using my 5" units only as a second source. Using them as my sole reader would be critical for some files.
6" seems a very good compromise between mobility and readability. But of course PDFs very often are in A4 or letter format and can be difficult to read on 6" displays. iRex iLiad has a great zooming feature and iRex 1000S has the "perfect" screen size for those formats.

Personally, I don't annotate much. But when I do so, I very much prefer a touchscreen over a keyboard. So, in my opinion, Sony 600 or both iRex units are more convenient than Kindle for that feature.

To make your decision even more complicated: I really LOVE the iPhone Kindle application. Reading my Kindle books on iPhone/iPod touch without any additional costs - great for a quick read while on the road. It can be done with other readers/formats as well, but the Amazon solution by far is the most convenient one.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote