View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #63
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I think it's about time for Kobo to consider freezing the firmware on the original KT, except perhaps for critical updates. It's been out for 16 months now, and it's been through a dozen firmware updates. The first few added major improvements, but recently they've been fiddling pointlessly with the UI, creating as many new bugs as solving old bugs, adding more intrusive advertising, and adding support for newer models that doesn't matter to owners of older devices. For me the KT is perfectly usable as it is, and I'm sure it will remain one of my most-used and most-appreciated devices for some time to come. There are certainly problems remaining, but if the developers haven't managed to fix it by now, there's little likelihood they ever will.
While I don't necessarily agree that they should freeze the firmware for good it would be advisable for KOBO to (1) release bugfixes in between major frimware releases and (2) make updates optional. What annoys me and would prevent me from buying a KOBO device again is the fact that there is no bug-free firmware version available since every new release seems to introduce new bugs and/or drops formerly available useful features.

It has to be said though that 2.1.4. is the best firmware yet (at least on my device) in so far as it does not have too many obvious bugs, that its major shortcoming (ridiculous hyphenation settings for some languages) can be manually fixed in the update files and that the firmware is generally much more responsive compared to previous versions.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote