View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #53
franYo
franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franYo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Also, for Windows 8, tablets are very different than the Windows tablets you're used to. Win8 RT is all metro, all the time. If you're not familiar with metro, it is the full screen interface that Microsoft is pushing people over on. Each app takes up 100% of the screen when it is active. No windows, period. Also, Windows RT will not run any desktop app. Have you used a recent Windows mobile device, with Windows Phone 7? Or maybe a Zune, or Xbox 360 with the current interface? Well, that's what Windows 8 RT is like. Just because it has Windows in the name, doesn't mean it is anything like what you're used to. In fact, it shares more in common with Android and iOS than its name sake.
On Windows 8 Enterprise edition (Build 9200) you can run two apps in the Metro interface. I'm not sure how it's done on a touchscreen, but with a mouse you go to the top of the screen until the cursor changes to a hand and then click and drag without releasing the button. If you drag the app to the bottom of the screen, it closes. If you drag it to the left or right it sort of docks there, taking up about a quarter of the screen. Now you can start another app and it will fill the other three quarters. Not sure if this can be done on Windows 8 RT, but I don't see why not.

Also, as far as I understand (this is not from personal experience), Windows 8 RT does in fact include a desktop. RT comes with a basic version of the MS Office suite, and the four included applications (Word, Excel, Power Point and One Note) are not Metro apps. I expect some other standard Windows applications will be included too (Windows Explorer and such). What you can't do is install third party applications (desktop applications, that is); it's a compatibility issue, since RT runs on ARM processors.

Last edited by franYo; 09-22-2012 at 03:27 PM.
franYo is offline   Reply With Quote