View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
For more Kindle formatting ideas also check out my CSS3 thread in the Kindle forum. It shows, for example, how to add a fleuron using CSS3 and doesn't require fallback styling, because CSS3 elements will simply be ignored by KindleGen when it generates the Mobi7 part of the master mobi file.

IMHO, it's nice to think of fallback styles, but I wouldn't waste too much time on it since the majority of Kindles in use support KF8. Only 3 older Models (K1, K2 an DX) don't support KF8 and most of them were bought by "early adopters" with enough disposable income to afford the latest models.
Doitsu:

My only quibble with this is that there are millions of e-ink Kindles still in use, and most of those early adopters don't show any signs of intending to get rid of them. Almost every reading group I belong to--and there's quite a few--has an overwhelming number of readers still using K2's, K3's that didn't get the upgrade (or chose not to) and DX's, not to mention K-1's. I wouldn't dismiss the e-inks out of hand, not at all.

I'd also add that fallback styles are nearly always necessary for dealing with any images that are less-than-full-screen-sized, particularly due to the massive ppi difference across devices.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote