View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
santosha
Novice
santosha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Embedded custom fonts and fallback styling

I'd like to style some headings in a book with a custom font and with small-caps.

My research has led me to understand that pre-KF8 Kindles do not support either of those elements (custom fonts, smallcaps) and my question is if I need to do fallback-styling with media queries--which actually seems pretty straight forward--or if the pre-KF8 devices simply will ignore the embedded font/smallcaps styling and default back to whatever the user chooses/is default?

I'm fine with the font/styling being vanilla on pre-KF8 ereaders, rather than trying to simulate something that may look somewhat similar to smallcaps (as I read you could do with slightly smaller font-size and uppercase, etc., as advised in another thread by JSWofl).

I'd also like to ask the same question in a more general way: is it always better to define fallback-styling (even if the pre-KF8 ereader would ignore KF8 styling and default back to something else) or is it a good practice to just define KF8-only supported elements as long as the pre-KF8 ereader simply ignores that "advanced" element? Does it even know what to revert back to or is that kind of a gamble to be avoided?

I hope I made it at least somewhat clear--thanks in advance!

Santosha
santosha is offline   Reply With Quote