View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #108
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Regarding Tor - whatever I saw until now from the people from them - editors and other employees and sadly even some though luckily only a minority of writers - is just arrogance and/or cluelessness.

I never paid that much attention to the big sf houses and editors since being so big they just publish a lot, do not have a particular identity the way Baen, Daw or Pyr have - but the recent Tor.com controversies and the "we will be ready soon with e-books" attitude soured me badly on a number of people associated with them.

They still publish some of my favorite books, but it's been a big disappointment to see this.
Understood. Regarding that tempest over the Tor free ebook program last summer, I'll be the first to say they handled it badly. Very badly, from a PR point of view. So I can tell you, because I know (casually) some of the people involved, that while they really blew it totally in that exchange, I believe they are sincerely trying to put together a solid ebook program--and it's taking way longer than they imagined it would. Are they going about it the best way? I have no idea.

The basic misunderstanding about Tor.com probably didn't help, from a PR point of view. They never envisioned Tor.com as the public face of Tor Books. (How could they not think people would see it that way? you ask. And I answer, see, that just proves that even really smart people can really get it wrong. As if it needed to be proved.) They were trying to create a discussion and SF-lovers community that just happened to be hosted by the people at Tor. Guess they should have given it a different name.

Anyway. Regarding expectations and ebook programs (leave Tor aside), let me point again to ereads.com, which was one of the first major efforts to get out-of-print books back into print in ebook (and PoD) form. Ereads has been around for something like 8 or 9 years, and it's been an uphill struggle. I put a number of my books into the program, and some made it to market while others were trapped for years in a production logjam that only now is moving again. Have my books in that program (available on fictionwise and elsewhere, in multiformat non-DRM form) proven what a viable market this is? On the contrary, sales have been abysmal. I have yet to make a dime after expenses. Everyone here might think ebooks are great (I do, too), but publishers just getting into it might be forgiven for thinking this is a small niche market that has a ways to go before it'll be very profitable.

(Damn. I swore I wouldn't get sucked into this again.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote